After looking over the rules, I have come to the conclusion it would be fun to take some old character from Alternity's Star*Drive setting and move them to Mindjammer.
Overall, the rationale is the following:
- Characters are held in a stasis something-something made by the somebodies, and whoops old campaign over.
- time passes. Lots of it. time and time and time...
- Characters found and rescued by commonality explorer probe, perhaps a brainship or something odd compared to the old Star*Drive
- Have them find out that it's been so long that they don't even have record of the Star*Drive time period, and cue the Buck-Rodgers theme music.
background timeline is like this:
- Players stasised.
- Some time after, darkmatter (powers most of the tech and all of the FTL) drys up suddenly, leaving thousands of worlds without power, communication, or support.
- Very little time after that, Civ is in ruins.
- Psionic humans culled by a massive event.
- All in all, almost all civ goes back to the stoneage, or extinct.
- Build back up from scratch.
- Begin timeline of the MindJammer setting...
Yes, it's cheezy, but those characters now have a series of wonderful plotlines to run with, including trying to find out what happened, visiting ancient ruins of places they were wandering around "I was here just last week!", and dealing with the overall story derived from "Stranger in a Strange Land".
And let's face it, just about every rpg is cheesy. Mnnn... Cheese.