Mindjammer Press Forums
March 30, 2017, 10:41:54 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Discuss the Mindjammer, Monsters & Magic, and Chronicles of Future Earth games and settings.

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Star*drive transition to MindJammer  (Read 1508 times)
FoolishFrost

View Profile
« on: April 26, 2014, 01:35:49 pm »

After looking over the rules, I have come to the conclusion it would be fun to take some old character from Alternity's Star*Drive setting and move them to Mindjammer.

Overall, the rationale is the following:

- Characters are held in a stasis something-something made by the somebodies, and whoops old campaign over.
- time passes.  Lots of it.  time and time and time...
- Characters found and rescued by commonality explorer probe, perhaps a brainship or something odd compared to the old Star*Drive
- Have them find out that it's been so long that they don't even have record of the Star*Drive time period, and cue the Buck-Rodgers theme music.

background timeline is like this:
- Players stasised.
- Some time after, darkmatter (powers most of the tech and all of the FTL) drys up suddenly, leaving thousands of worlds without power, communication, or support.
- Very little time after that, Civ is in ruins.
- Psionic humans culled by a massive event.
- All in all, almost all civ goes back to the stoneage, or extinct.
- Build back up from scratch.
- Begin timeline of the MindJammer setting...

Yes, it's cheezy, but those characters now have a series of wonderful plotlines to run with, including trying to find out what happened, visiting ancient ruins of places they were wandering around "I was here just last week!", and dealing with the overall story derived from "Stranger in a Strange Land".

And let's face it, just about every rpg is cheesy.  Mnnn...  Cheese.   Grin
Commonality_intendant
Administrator

View Profile Email
« Reply #1 on: May 05, 2014, 10:43:43 am »

Hi FoolishFrost,

I actually don't know the Star*Drive setting (although I have Alternity), but of course I do know Buck Rodgers, and the whole campaign concept sounds *awesome*. In terms of Commonality history, too, you've got that whole almost mythical prehistoric Age of Space when all manner of things happened - before the Glaciation - when you can fit in your previous civlisation.

Great concept. You could even have one of your defrosted PCs be psionic - the Evolutionary Ministry would be hunting him down like nobody's business, and there may also be mysterious links to the Venu.

Dang, I want to play in this one! Cheesy Let us know how it goes!

Cheers,

Sarah
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: